The Contents Of This Blog Are Copyrighted

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

You Ain't Woman Enough To Take My Man!

I hope you are having the weather that I am having here at the North forty.

The mornings have been so cool that I have to turn on the heat just to get the chill out of the ole farm house. It is actually colder inside than out. Not looking forward to another cold winter but who am I to complain I live in Texas not in our Northern States where you are hit really hard.


Loretta's Home

Speaking of other states I fell in love with Tennessee all over again and of course Arkansas and lets not forget Mississippi. When my friend/landlady was kind enough to take me to my cousin’s funeral we kept driving because she had tickets to see Loretta Lynn’s last concert at her ranch in Hurricane Mills, Tenn. I got the okay from my pain management doctor and he agreed only because of us traveling in a RV. If I had not been able to lay down a lot I would of never been able to make the trip.

Betty Sue on left...Barb on right


It was a very fast trip up there and back since I have pool therapy twice a week and my pain management appointments.



Hurricane Mills is about sixty miles from Nashville and it is all about Loretta Lynn. In fact she owns the little town and there she has her home that sits on 3600 hundred acres and where she also has a RV camp and concert pavilion. My friend Barbara and Loretta’s daughter are friends so I took a great picture of the two of them at Betty’s shop.


I was actually quite surprised at how wonderful the concert was since Loretta is seventy five years old. She sang the first two songs standing up and after that she sat down and entertained the rest of the evening. Her voice is still awesome as ever and the crowd loved her. In between songs other family members would sing when Loretta was not telling us stories about her life.

This is a gift shop in the small town Loretta owns. It is an old mill that sits on the water running through her place.


One story in particular she told made me spit my Dr Pepper on the guy in front of me. The reason being is it showed me that she also has a Ms. Pearl inside of her and regardless if she is standing in front of thousands of people she still did not hold back not even a little bit. It was a story about a woman trying to steal her husband Mooney. Now Mooney has been dead over 14 years but when Loretta told this story you could see the facial features of her change to real anger. She told us that once upon a time a woman by the name of Ann Dunn was from that little town and while Loretta was out on the road this gal tried to take her man. Now let me tell you she did not mince any words when it came to this woman. She said she was a no good whore and was now living in Florida doing the same thing. What got me was the fact she repeated her name several times for the entire world to hear. Loretta then pointed to the audience and said, ”I know some of you out here know her and I know some of you in the audience are kin to her but makes no difference to me you all need to know what kind of woman she is.”



I was speechless and Barbara and I were looking at each other in disbelief. She certainly has a lot of anger and hate for this Ann Dunn. Then to top it off she sang her hit You Ain’t Woman Enough to Take My Man. Hahaha Brought the house down and a standing ovation.



Her ranch is absolutely beautiful and the leaves were just starting to change colors. If only it could have been a week or two later I would have been in heaven seeing the leaves. If you ever in that part of the country you should stop by and tell her hello. Very down to earth and still a lovely woman. But be careful if your name happens to be Ann Dunn. Haha Seventy-five or not I have a feeling that woman could do some serious stomping on that other woman. It goes to show even the best of us have a Ms. Pearl hidden somewhere inside of us.
Back view of her ranch when your leaving Hurricane Mills.


My camera batteries died on me during the concert so I am waiting on pictures from Barbara of Loretta in her red evening dress looking so pretty.

I talked to my darling Kaci for five minutes last night and tonight we are going to try and use Skype so we can make faces at each other while we talk. I hope she does not forget to call me so we can catch up. Also I can visit with my little Bailey too and see what mischief he has been into at school. Kaci did tell me she had to get glasses now so she could see the black board. I told her to be sure and wear them for me when we Skype. If you have not tried Skype.com you really should. It is free and you can talk to your grandbabies while watching them dancing around the room entertaining their grandma. Kaci told me that she was excited that my oldest son Chad moved back to Austin this week and now everyone was in Austin except her Grandmayellowhair. She then told me that everytime she sees a house for sale she will tell me about it. Let me tell you I just wanted to cry because how I would love to live closer to that darling and help her with her diabetes. Knowing that I can not afford to live in Austin right now makes me want to do some good ole stomping myself on someone. Lol



Gary completed his first round of chemo and was sick on the way home last night from MD Anderson. He is going to be worn out traveling back and forth for 15 weeks but with all your prayers he will make it.



Things here on the ranch are crazy because everything is breaking down at the same time. I know you understand how that is because when it rains it pours.



Still no word from Alan! I guess the poor fool got his panties in a wad too. Your comments were again priceless and I love you and your comments.

Love to all
Maggie
One of her ducks walking around. I wanted to bring it back to the north forty.

27 comments:

Annesphamily said...

What an awesome post! I have always loved Loretta Lynn ever since I was a young kid! I enjoyed reading your story tonight. Blessings to you. Anne

Anonymous said...

Oh, what fun you must have had. If anyone ever deserved to get to go on that trip and enjoy Loretta singing and making people laugh...dear Maggie it is you. I am so glad you got to go.

I have seen her ranch on TV. They show a special about her every now and then and I watch it. Did you know there are ghosts at her ranch? I have watched Loretta talk about them on her specials. She is not afraid of them and talks to them.

Isn't Skype great? I talk with my sister and brother-law every day. It is so nice to be able to see and talk to our loved ones that live a ways from us.

I know Gary must be glad the first round of treatment is behind him...prayers still go up for him, you, Kaci and the family.

Alan will get his panties all straightened out and be back around before you know it.

I enjoyed your post as always. I agree with you that we all have a little Miss Pearl in us that comes out now and then.

Love and hugs sweet Maggie

yaya said...

How fun! I always say it's not what you know, but who you know and now you know a famous person and I know you so I feel special..well, not really but I'm glad you were able to go and enjoy life with all you have on your plate! Prayers continue for you and family and hopefully everyone will be well, pain free and managing life the best they can. Have a great week!

joanne said...

I would just die to see Loretta Lynn..OMGosh you are so lucky! I can't wait to see the pics. Now I know how she came up with that song...after all these years she is still angry means it must have been a nasty affair.
I'm so glad your friend had an RV and was able to take you. That's the way to go right!?
Hope Kaci is doing well and makes silly for you. take care sweet Maggie, Blessings to you and yours.

Julie Harward said...

I always love Loretta...glad to hear that she is still singing and still has some of that Ms. Pearl in her too...all good women do! How nice that you could get out and away for awhile! Hope everything will be ok with Gary too. Come say hi :D

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Dear Maggie:
Such wonderful memories of your RV trip! And a cute story of Loretta railing on that hussy of a man-stealer! lol

Prayers continue for your loved ones. Will look forward to good news about Gary and Kaci.

Love you, girlfriend.
xoxo
Donna

Lisalulu said...

wha.a fun post- Loved hearing about Loretta Lynn and the really nice trip you had (yeah!) Ms Pearl. ha ha guess we all have one.. I've yet to let mine out of the 'barn'. Sorry about Gary's yuckyness. And as for Alan, he'll come around. TAKE CARE and keep getting better. Just do what will helps you the most or like swimming or drugs HA.

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hey Maggie,
I always figured Loretta had some Ms.Pearl in her! I'm glad you got to see her at her home place and watch her perform. She is something else!

hugs
Sissie

Arkansas Patti said...

Loretta is 75 ??? Yikes, where has the time gone.
Boy, you never want to rile a celeberity who has access to a microphone and a Ms. Pearl in residence. Phew, that Ann Dunn is probably afraid to FLY over Tenn.
Her daughter really looks like her.
So glad you had such a super time. The RV was a great idea.

Linda said...

Great story! I'd say more, but it has all been said, so "Ditto!"

LuLu Kellogg said...

I agree with Sissie....she definitely had some Ms. Pearl in her!

I should be working right now but had to stop by and say hi! I am getting ready for a huge show next weekend so I will be back around to visit after then :)

Love,
LuLu♥

stefanie said...

oh, I am glad your out having a FUN time!!! what a gorgeous ranch she has!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I would have loved to be at that concert!! I love Loretta's spirit and feistyness. For me, personally, I wouldn't want to fight for a man. I'd just give him up if he'd been "soiled" by another woman and figure he's the loser for losing me. :)

Tam said...

Maggie sorry I have been not leaving comments but I have been here laughing with all the rest that are lucky enough to read your post.
Sometimes I have to wipe my mascara off my face because you make me laugh so hard I have tears in my eyes.
Don't ever think about not writing on here because it looks like you might have a revolt on your hands.
Loretta still doing concerts at 75 now that is a post alone. How great that she still is loved by so many including me. I can just see your face when she started talking about the other woman. Too close to home Right?
If we lived closer the two of us could visit Palestine and the ugly woman and then Loretta could write another song. She could call it Ms Pearl and ugly rolling in the grass...haha
Ok I will quit but that is a site even my tight hubs would pay to see.
Listen once again I am telling you to quit doing what your doing and write a book. I have no doubt you would get it published and look you have already sold over 400 copies.
Can u not see girl how much you are loved. Open those pretty eyes and write.
Prayers to your special little Kaci and Gary. I know you are stressed with his treatments but God will keep him safe
Loved your post and pictures. Is that a waterfall by the mill. I love how pretty it is there. Loretta is a lucky woman she just needs to stomp Dunn and get it out of her system.
Gosh what is wrong with me today. I guess I need to go beat a rug or something
Love
Tam

Susan Anderson said...

Isn't that Skype thing great? I love it.

Sounds like Loretta is quite a pistol! Glad you enjoyed the concert so much.

And I hope your brother is feeling better by now. Maybe the subsequent treatments will be a little better for him. I sure hope so.

=)

Sharon said...

First prayers for you and Gary.
I am so glad you got to go see LL place and concert. I just love the way that woman can sing a song.
I read an article about her husband and his affair, it sounded like she could stand up for herself.
have a great day.

Diane at Crafty Passions said...

Sounds like it was a fun get away !!
Diane

artis1111 said...

I live in TN. and I love the photo of the old mill. We haven't been there, but it looks beautiful. Thanks for posting. Kathy

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas said...

Sounds like a fun trip. That's great you were able to make it. Poor Ann Dunn had no idea what she was getting herself into.

Have a great rest of your week!

~Sarah

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your Loretta Lynn story and the photos are great! :-)

Brenda Pruitt said...

I certainly feel your pain. I had to have the plumbers out again last night. Just had them out Friday night. Might have to have a new sewer line put in. Groan...
Brenda

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Hi Maggie,

Just stopped by to see how you and Ms. Pearl are doing!

Glad Gary's getting the help he needs and I'm sending prayers for him and your granddaughter..

Keep the faith!!!

NitWit1 said...

Lots of misssionaries use SKYPE. Enjoyed the LOretta Lynn Tripl

Karen Whittal said...

Hi there, love the photo's just love the buildings but have no idea who Loretta Lynn is, I presume she is a famous country and western singer, and we just don't seem to enjoy that kind of music too laid back, when you are used to the "African Beat" (lol)

Sybil said...

I have never heard of Lorretta...but she sounds quite a woman...I must look her up on the net later !! Glad you had a good time though. Hope you were not over tired after the trip.
Thanks for popping by the other day. My sister is still in hospital but fingers crossed she may get home Monday.
Love Sybil xx

deb said...

What a wonderful adventure you had!! Loretta is 75!! Omg! Good for her she can still belt out a tune and do some stomping if need be! Too funny story.

Wnding healing prayers for all you family and you too dear.
Take care and have a great weekend!
*hugs*deb

A Tale of Two Cities said...

Isn't Skype grand? It sure bridges the gap between distances, and believe me, when I'm in London I need a long bridge to bring that little granddaughter up on the screen. Now if I could just convince her to be still long enough to chat, we'd really be cookin'!

Debi