The Contents Of This Blog Are Copyrighted

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Promise Kept

Well I did it!!! I signed up today to do volunteer work at the Festival Hall in Round Top and I have to admit that I am really excited about it. Years ago I had made a promise to myself that one day I would volunteer at this lovely place that helped save me during my cancer treatments. I want to somehow give back a little of what it has given me. So today I drove out there and met the lady over the tours. What a wonderful day it turned out to be. Norma and I hit it off instantly and discovered we both have so many things in common and it made me wish that I had done this years ago. See what you miss out on when you put off doing something. I not only kept a promise today but I met a new friend. Their summer concerts are starting on June 6 and I will be helping during the recitals. Either sitting people, selling tickets, taking tickets or work in the gift shop. It does not matter I am thrilled to be a part of such a neat organization. I am a little nervous about meeting the famous renowned James Dick but she called him Jimmy today so that put me at ease for a minute or two. lol After spending an hour visiting with Norma I walked around the grounds and fell in love with it all over again. Beautiful gardens are every where and I mean everywhere. Two hundred acres of beauty. Several old homes and buildings have been moved to the property and they are lovely surrounded by every flower imaginable. I don't know how I will manage the extra time but I told Norma to introduce me to the garden man too so I could volunteer to help him. Much to my surprise she thinks he would be more than happy to have more help so I may be stretching myself thin but I need this. When you work in a jail having the opportunity to do this on the side is exciting. So wish me luck on my new adventure. If you want to visit their website just go to my previous post and click it own. After I got home this afternoon I decided to work around the ranch I live on. It is 52 acres and always something to do with the old home place that I live in or the grounds. It was so pretty outside I decided to mow. So off to the barn with my big hat and boots on and found the smallest tractor and after about twenty minutes I figured out how to use it and off I went around the pastures closest to the house. Then I got brave and tried an area near the house well I did okay but I have to replace a few bricks around a flower bed and maybe one or two pickets from the fence but thanks goodness they did not break. Just came loose so a hammer and nail will fix that. Just have to remember not to get so close the next time. You may think I am crazy but I actually enjoyed mowing. I guess I mowed maybe five acres or more but to me it was relaxing well except for the flower bed and fence. I may just try it again tomorrow. The maintenance man that usually does this has left for Denver for a month and I know they hired someone to come out and mow but after all the rain I wanted to keep the grass cut because in the country I feel that is the best way to prevent varmints you don't want to hang around your place. Someday soon I will post pictures of this lovely old place. I am so lucky to be living here. Surrounded by oak trees that have to be a hundred years old and oh the storys I bet they could tell. All in all today was a very good productive day and take it from me don't put off keeping your promises as long as I did. I am just so happy I finally kept it. Sweet dreams

No comments: