The Contents Of This Blog Are Copyrighted

Monday, August 22, 2011

The Oliver's


In Back my sweet Sister-in-Law Linda, her sister Ruby, brother Oscar
Front  Harvey, Lou and Bonnie

Yesterday at my oldest brother Billy's home we celebrated Harvey Oliver's 85th Birthday.  There are no memories in my life without the Oliver family.

Our two families lived by each other for the first 17 years of my life. They are my extended family. Their Mom Edna and Harvey were my second parents. Edna passed away a few years ago and Harvey remarried Lou who is pictured here with the family.

Where ever I went Linda, Bonnie and Ruby went with me. Visa Versa. We were inseparable until I moved away to college. The same year Linda married my older brother Billy and made our family ties legal. haha

Linda and Billy have been sweethearts since grade school. Linda always knew she was going to marry Billy.

My brother Billy is the tall good looking guy in the middle. See Linda attached to his arm. haha

Oscar's family was there also his wife Carol beside Lou and Lauren next to Carol. On the other end is Jeff who is happily married to Ruby.


Here I caputured Harvey by his handsome self. Does he look 85 years old. I have to tell you several times during the day I caught his new bride saying to us or herself how handsome Harvey is. Each time I heard her say that I had to smile. Last night lying in bed trying to sleep I thought of this day and how I would see Lou sitting on the couch holding hands with Harvey.  How sweet to see an older couple holding hands.

I have to admit it is strange seeing Harvey with someone besides our lovely Edna but then I am so thankful he is not alone.

Just wanted to share a little of my weekend with you! Friday and Saturday I mostly caught up on research for my writing. I have to say this research is starting to take up way more time than I ever thought of spending on it.  I actually had intended to get Harvey alone to ask him questions about his childhood since my story takes place near that time but was not to be. We all were laughing and catching up to much to do any research.

I talked Ruby, Bonnie and Linda into attending our class reunion this September and much to my delight we are all going. Billy went last year so he told Linda just to go alone with us. I find that hard to believe and think he will change his mind on the day of the reunion. haha

So I made the reservations at the hotel for us and bought our tickets today so now no one can change their mind. It is 5 classes together so we each graduated a different year so how great that worked out for us.
A girls weekend out is just what the doctor ordered for me so yippeeee!!! Now how to loose 30 pounds in less than 30 days and to find the prefect outfit. I have not seen my classmates since my 10 year reunion and believe me that was many many moons ago. Will anyone recognize me?

Billy just phoned and wants to come out this evening and help me mow my yard so I am no dummy I told him to come on out. It will be late though because we are at 104 right now.

I know there was other things I was going to talk to you about but after my phone conversation with Billy I totally lost all thoughts of doing this post. Gosh its great being old.

So I will close on that note. Wishing you all a wonderful week. Hopefully I will be back soon.

Love to all
Maggie

14 comments:

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Hey Maggie, great looking bunch of guys and gals!
Hope you are feeling well and keeping out of trouble? Haha.
My brother in Navasota told me how hot it is there and it has been breaking my heart. I pray for you guys to get rain soon. My brother and his wife are trying to sell their home in Navasota and move back to Magnolia and he asked if I would consider moving back there and I could live with them. Well I DON'T think so honey, not with 104 degree temps!!!
Have a great evening and let me know how you are doing dear Maggie!
Tina xo

Anonymous said...

What a great looking family!!
Several years ago I bought 2 small voice activated tape recorders & some tapes. I gave one recorder to my Uncle Le & I kept one. I asked him to just talk about the family & his childhood so I could have it. Guess what???? He did....
He passed away last year at 84 & now I have some wonderful recordings about not only about himself but my Mother who was his sister. I treasure them.
This is a much easier way for a family to record their life's experiences.
Love,
Marilyn

acorn hollow said...

He does not look 85 oh my goodness. and what a great group. good luck at the reunion we are in the high 70's and dry we did have some humid weather but nothing like you are having.
Cathy

Julia said...

This must have been a great nostalgic time for all of you. What a great bunch, but I wish that you were in the picture too.

I hope that all is going well for you and that you feel more relaxed and in less pain these days.

Dear Maggie, you'll probably find some class mate that are more than 30 pounds over weight at that reunion, some that are skinny and some that are divorced, some that are remarried and some who are single again... That's life... Just go and enjoy yourself and have a blast from the past.

All the best. JB

Debby said...

Looks like such a fun get together. How sweet that so many could get together to celebrate.
I know alot of people (well maybe 3) that have met old sweethearts at class reunions and fell in love.

Are you missing working, hah.
I don't know how you do those temps. We are cooling down here. Be careful in that heat.

June said...

The Oliver's are a handsome bunch Maggie dear! Isn't that awesome that your brother made them true family when he married Linda?
Have a blast at your reunion...how could you not???
sending big hugs from here...

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

How wonderful that your neighbors became extended family and, finally, family, Maggie! Loved reading this post!

LuLu Kellogg said...

What a sweet family! My FIL is 95 and he doesn't look his age either!

Wishing you a week full of Love!

LuLu~*xoxo

yaya said...

What a great time with family and friends! Harvey does not look 85..I should have introduced him to my Mom, he's a hottie! Our temps here have been great...74 today and tonight's it's going to be only about 50...ahhh....The girl weekend sounds like a great time, just stay out of trouble! That's probably asking too much!

Heather Henry said...

sounds like a lovely weekend. Family time, laughter, catching up, reminiscing...all sounds wonderful. :) Very exciting to go to a reunion too. I would be doing the same thing, how to lose 30 lbs in 30 days. If you come up with a way, please share. :) Have a wonderful week. I hope it begins to cool down. Or at least you get some rain.

Sybil said...

What a wonderful party you all had and I agree yo do have a handsome brother and he certainly does not look his age ...
I just cannot believe your temps. 104 is never ever heard of over hear...I am sure I would be dead by now.. Just a thought you are in Texas aint you...(a wee secret I might be in the south of Texas next Sept. gosh I hope it won't be so hot then...now that wee secret will get you guessing) !!
Love always, Sybil xx

Susan Anderson said...

I love that Linda always knew she would marry Billy. And I love that Harvey has found a sweetheart again.

=)

Sonny G said...

thats a great looking bunch of folks and hearing that an older couple met and married gives me hope..
ya'll be careful mowing in this heat.
have a fab time at the reunion.
hugs
Sonny

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I love any type of gathering. It really looks like such a nice group of people. Good luck with the reunion. When you find out how to lose 30 pounds please tell me. I haven't figured that one out yet.