The Contents Of This Blog Are Copyrighted

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

OH What A Day!

Hope you are having a good week! Thought since I could not sleep yet I would fill you in on What's New with my going back to work!


Only the third day back at the Sheriff's Office and all Hell broke loose when they brought in a young man acting so violently that he was a danger not only to us but himself.

I thought that my light duty assignment would be stuck off somewhere out of the loop but I was never more wrong in my thinking. I am right in the big middle of where everything takes place.

Today on the radio a Deputy tells me to get things lined up for him he was bringing in a violent male that would take assistantance in getting him inside the jail. I had maybe three minutes to get as many Officer's I could for back up to that area. My job was radio, phones, monitors and doors so I had to forget my pain and make sure everything was done exactly right and in prefect sync with the Officers to avoid someone getting hurt by something I might not have done right.

I managed to get the sally port doors opened and closed in the right amount of time. It was then that I had to make sure the other doors going out to the sally port were unlocked and being a whole new work area that I was not familar with it was quite the experience of trying to make sure every door was opened and shut in the right amount of time. Plus I am dealing with this and then at the same time I have other Officers trying to get in from another section of the building and I am having to switch computer screens back and forth and monitor the cameras and even now while I am reliving it I get totally wired up.

They bring him in and take him to the Violent cell and their yelling at me to unlock the Violent cell. Well like I mentioned this is my third day back and when I was there before my accident our doors were all opened by keys now the jail is completely different with the new 4 million addition so no one has trained me on completely on controlling these doors through this computer. So here I am trying in seconds to find a door on the computer that might be marked Violent Cell. Looking at the screen is like looking at some kind of maze with lots of doors and numbers next to these doors. Problem is their all the same size and their all in grey color which makes finding one door your not familar with pretty darn hard. I knew about what area it was probably lcated and I switched the screen to it and got lucky enough to find it just as they were rounding the corner and I caught them on camera and managed to get the door opened at the exact time they needed it.

The first thing they had to do was strip him of his clothes because he had a history of suicide attempts. He is fighting them the whole time and when you have a person on drugs their four times as strong as you are and it takes at least six men to control him and their all putting in every bit of their strength they have to keep someone from getting hurt.

He is now locked in the padded violent cell and I look at the monitor and he is hitting himself over and over with his fist with blows to his face. I have worked in law enforcement almost 20 years but never have I seen anyone beating theirselve up like this young man. The blows he was giving himself was incredible. I start at once getting everyone back to that area and once again I open the door for them to go in again. This time it is even harder to control him because you can imagine if he can stand there and beat himself up what he can do to an officer.

With a lot of work but professionally they put him in the suicide chair and bring him up front to where I am so he can be watched face to face instead of the monitors. I am like oh my God their bringing him up here to where I am. Yep he is right out the door where I am working and I now have him to watch plus the computer screen where everybody is hollaring open this door, then another area someone is hollaring open this door and I am like why oh why did they force me to come back to this.

Now the young man in the suicide chair goes from cussing and screaming to crying that he just wants to die. It is heart wrenching to watch a young man in probably early twenties so crazy like this. I assume his brain has been fried on drugs.

Straight up 3 pm I scoot my chair back and said "Who is taking the driving seat now because I am out of here!" Normally I would never leave with something going on like this but my time was up along with my pain level and I had to get out the door.

I do know after today and dealing with all that stress that it made my pain level go to 10 in a matter of minutes. lol.....

Driving away from there today all I could think about was no wonder they forced me back to work. Who else are they going to get to put up with such crap. I mean here I was watching a young crazy man stand naked in a cell trying his best to beat himself to death. How sad to be this young man and how sad to have to watch and deal with him also..

Just think I am lucky enough to be back there tomorrow morning.

Sweet Dreams
Maggie

24 comments:

Draffin Bears said...

Dear Maggie,

What can I say, but sorry you are back there with still having the pain and then to have to face this. So sad to be the young guy and hope he can get the help he needs to get off the drugs.
May you have the strength to go back tomorrow.

Sweet dreams and sending hugs
Carolyn

Susan Anderson said...

I don't know how you're managing to do this, Maggie. I worry that you are going to make yourself worse.

"/

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

holy moly..What a day you had...I wish there was something I could say..I wish you were not in that environment any longer..I hope it gets easier for you..

Lesley said...

Hi Maggie, what an awful day you had. But at least it makes you aware of the saying. 'Careful what you wish for'. Remember all those months you were longing to be back at work? I hope things get better for you soon. Blessings from the UK

acorn hollow said...

My stress when up just reading this. I could not take it for sure. I get stress over supid things. I am keeping you in my prayers.
cathy

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Oh Maggie,
While in Houston, my husband was in charge of the Houston City Jail for about 6 months. I remember his horror stories. I understand the stress you are feeling. Please think of your health and take care of your self...we worry about you.

Janet xox

Tanna said...

I'll be saying a prayer for you, Maggie! blessings ~ tanna

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Wow! What a day, Maggie! I am sure your adrenaline was pumping. That's pretty scary to deal with that. I know I was sitting on the edge of my chair just reading this post!

Arkansas Patti said...

I'm drained and I was only reading this. The whole time I was afraid this pitiful,sad human was going to do something physical to harm you. Bad enough all the stress he caused.
Sure wish you had another job though you really seem to be good at what you do. Do take care gal.

Shirley said...

Hi Maggie, I don't know if I could handle the stress. Do you think that maybe they are trying to find something that you can't do so they can let you go and say you couldn't do your job? People do crazy stuff and makes no difference if they are at fault just as much as you. It did make you forget the pain a little bit maybe with all of this going on. Kids and drugs, I just don't understand them anymore that they think they have to have them without knowing what it will physically do to them. I will pray that you have a better day today and each one gets better. Take care. Hugs Your Missouri Friend.

Sonny G said...

I am so sorry you had such a tough day.. Talk about stress - wowzers.. I hope they can find a calmer area for you to work in. Stress actually increases pain levels so this is certainly not to area you should be in.
sending you good thoughts.

xoxoxoxoxo
Sonny

Susie Swanson said...

Hi Maggie, so sorry you are having such a hard time. People don't realize how bad it can get unless they're in your line of work. I can relate to it some, my son is a law officer. hope it gets better for you. Susie

Dan said...

Maggie~

What a day! This doesn't seem like the place for someone in so much pain to be. Just reading your post stressed me out, so I can only imagine how you felt. All I can do is pray that everything gets better and that things calm down for you at work. Take care!

Love Ya,
~Dan~

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Yikes Maggie! Never a dull moment, huh??!!! Make sure you take care of YOU first! Best wishes, Tammy

Sharon said...

OMG what a stressful day you had. I know that I could not deal with it!!
I will continue to pray that your pain and days improve.
Hugs dear friend

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Good golly Miss Molly, how much do they expect from a gal who is already fightin' so much pain. I'm just to sorry for you.

They're probably pushin' ya to the max to get you to quit. I hate that's the way the world works today. I can't even imagine the 'stress' this has caused you.

I pray for a peaceful day for you sweetie. Please, please take care of yourself. I know that your caught between a rock and a hard place right now.

May God bless your day and give you a sweet restful night. :o)

Unknown said...

Wow I hope you've had a better day today. Ditto on what everyone else has already said. Hugs!

Julia said...

Maggie, I can hardly believe that they put you in charge of all those doors with such short training. You did marvelously well. I'm proud of you, but

I worry that this may be too much stress for you but then you are so brave that if anyone can do it, you can.

I'm hoping that your pain will lessen as time goes on. I'll keep praying for you and that poor young man who's has hit rock bottom. Hugs, JB

Cherrie said...

I wish you didn't have to go back to that. But we do what we must do to survive. I am sending my love and prayers your way!

yaya said...

Whoa...what a day..and I was sitting on the edge of my chair just reading this. My thoughts for you and the stress you're under made me cringe and then that poor young man who probably will never grow up, have a decent life, and probably will end up hurting someone else too. I would cry myself to sleep and maybe never go back..but I know you've done this before and can handle things...but I'm sure hoping your book is a best seller and you can retire! Many prayers for you tonight Maggie!

Lisalulu said...

Even on 'light duty' you are STILL superwoman. Please rest! and I hope telling us your tales helps releive your stress, I know I love hearing from you.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

good gracious! I don't think that I could do your job Maggie...I would probably start to bawl...

I posted another chapter this am, so thought I'd let you know. If you get a minute, sweetie, stop by and tell me what you think...

xxoo,

RMW

Delena said...

You are caught between a rock and a hard place. I just don't know what to say. Hopefully good things will come to you soon and you can leave that job. Take care.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Well, that is a weird day on the planet!
Yikes!

Hopefully tomorrow is a better one and that pain of yours gets under control!

Hugs my friend.