The Contents Of This Blog Are Copyrighted

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Itching Please Read and Share!


Oh my What a beautiful prefect fall day in my part of Texas. Right now I am sitting in the middle of a lovely flower garden wishing you were to here to share the beauty with me.

Not sure the exact week or day that I my left breast started itching. Living where I do I just figured some wild insect had taken liberties with parts of my body they should leave alone. Anyway the itching continued maybe more than two weeks or longer and sometimes I would be standing in line somewhere and it would call to me to scratch it or it would scream out neglect. So one of the attacks of itching came on last night while trying to sleep. It seems my brain thinks more in bed than anywhere else. While lying there scratching I remember hearing something about breast cancer sometimes itched. Being the breast that I had already had cancer in years ago I jumped out of bed and grabbed the ole lap top.

Opened up Google and put in Itching Breast. Naturally it was true. There is a breast cancer called Inflammatory Breast Cancer. This is one of the articles I read.

Itchy breasts can be a symptom of cancer.  Inflammatory breast cancer (IBC) and Paget's disease of the breast are two forms of breast cancer that may include itching as a symptom.  However, itching can also be a symptom of dry skin, irritation, an allergy, and plenty of other problems that aren't dangerous.  IBC usually presents with a combination of symptoms like swelling, redness, dimpling, pain, and/or itching.  Most people have several symptoms that develop quickly.  Paget's usually has a scaly rash around the nipple.  If the only symptom you have is itching, and if you have checked with the doctor, I don't think you need to get another opinion.  If you do develop new symptoms, be assertive in getting your doctor to do some tests to find out exactly what is going on.

Another article:
Millions of people didn't know about a rare form of cancer called Inflammatory Breast Cancer -- IBC -- until Michelle Esteban from ABC's Seattle affiliate KOMO-TV shined a light on the difficulties of diagnosis.
"It's just so sad," she said. "Every woman that I've interviewed who has been diagnosed with Inflammatory Breast Cancer never heard of it until she got it."

Pain, Warmth, Itching

After running the story in May, KOMO's Web site was flooded with an overwhelming 14 million hits, the most in its history.
Viewers e-mailed their friends and family, urging them to watch the report and learn more about the little-known form of breast cancer that shows itself with nontraditional symptoms.
"There is no tumor. But there often is a red rash. There can be itching. The breast can swell. … It can be hot to the touch. There can be stabbing pain," Esteban said.
The redness and warmth are caused by cancer cells blocking the lymph vessels in the skin. The skin of the breast may also appear pink, reddish-purple, or bruised and appear pitted, like the skin of an orange.

Other symptoms include heaviness, burning, aching, increase in breast size, and tenderness.

These symptoms usually develop quickly, over a period of days or weeks. Swollen lymph nodes may also be present.
Because it lacks the typical telltale sign of a lump, mammograms and self-breast exams rarely detect this very aggressive form of cancer.

IBC catches victims off guard and in many cases, is a silent killer.
"If I had heard of it prior, I probably would have been more suspect that something was wrong rather than just young and dumb," said IBC victim Kristine Turck.

The thing to remember about this is there is no lump and it is a very very serious type of Breast Cancer.
I had not idea but not I know this is what my young cousin died of years ago when I was fighting my breast cancer. All I can remember her saying is she had a rash and the next thing we knew she lost her life to this horrible cancer. She was only in her thirties. I still think of her often and wish that they could of found hers in time. But like me I had no idea about this kind of cancer.

My worry of course is the left breast is where I had my first cancer which was a lump. Had my treatments and have had no other problems until about 5 months ago my doctor removed a spot between my arm and breast and said it was cancer but he got it all and I needed no treatments. The scary thing about this is he is the same doctor that treated Gary for months with his swollen lymph nodes in his throat and thought nothing of them and now Gary is in Stage 4 of Throat Cancer.

Gary is now starting to be sick from his Chemo and bless his heart his transmission went out in his truck and then the other day his fiancee was driving him to treatment two hours away and her car broke down. So knowing you way I do you will lift Gary up in prayer.

Loving you the way I do I wanted to warn you and your loved ones about this type of Breast Cancer.
October is the month for Breast Cancer Awareness and boy have I learned something new. I will of course the first thing Monday morning call my doctor and see if he can rush me an appointment. Then I will have to convince him to do a biopsy of the area because I am not going to let him send me home telling me it is just a rash. Not with my history. If need be Ms. Pearl will make an appearance in the Medical Center of College Station. hahaha

Sorry for a depressing post on a beautiful fall weekend but this info is something that needs to be told to everyone you know.

Love to all
Maggie

This the Round Top Library where I wrote this post in their garden!

28 comments:

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Dear Maggie, I'm glad you are being vigilant and pro-active. Good for you! Prayers for you and your brother, too!

Happy PS!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Linda said...

Thanks for the info, Maggie.

It is a beautiful day in our neighborhood today!

Sybil said...

Oh Grandnayellowhair, get along to that Dr doule quick on Monday. PLEASE let us know ASAP whate he says. Prayers are surrounding you...
It is strange but one of the first things that show up with pancreatic cancer was an itch. Our John had it but like most folks we never associated it with anything sinister and neither did the Dr. utill other symptoms appeared...
God Bless,
Love Sybil xx

Susan Anderson said...

Go, Miss Pearl. Whatever is necessary, get it done!

And I will be praying for both you AND Gary. We need to get some major blessings coming your way, sooner than later.

=)

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this with us. It is such important information. Praying that everything is ok with your doctor's visit.
Mary

Unknown said...

Oh, Maggie, don't let that Dr. dismiss you ... I'll be worried sick now for you. Prayers continue for Gary & you ... I had no idea of this issue, but will be more attentive now. TY for alerting/educating us all on this subject.

CONGRATS! on your giveaway win, but a lovely gift you are receiving. Couldn't go to a more lovely lady ...

Hugs of love, sweet friend ~
Marydon

Anonymous said...

Maggie, I tell you I just knew something was wrong because you keep "coming to me" for lack of any other way to describe it. I even told my husband that something was wrong because I felt it - and now I read this post. I have goose bumps. I think God puts people in our lives that we are supposed to pray for and honey, lately that's been you.

Go to the doctor, quick and please please let us know. Hopefully, Mrs. Pearl won't have to come out. I think it's time to find another doctor, maybe???

Big, squeezy hugs, Marla

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Beautiful picture, I just returned from Texas. I spent a couple weeks with my Daddy in Brownsville where he lost his three decade battle with Leukemia. Over the years the leukemia had manifested into other forms of cancer and the last invaded his brain. He went 'home' Wednesday evening. Praise God, no more pain and suffering!

Golly grump, this is a depressin' page! I knew sometimes cancer itches but have never heard of this form of breast cancer. I blame all my itchin' skin on menopause. My poor pours open and close faster than a well greased elevator.

I will continue to pray for Gary. Dang cancer but we serve a God who is way bigger than any stinkin' cancer.

Take care sweetie and may God pour out his sweet blessings upon your precious family!

Diane at Crafty Passions said...

Thanks for that information !
Take care of yourself please !
Diane

Debby said...

Yes, call the doctor first thing. I didn't know that you had a cancerous lump removed. That scares me that he said he got it all. They need to check things out anyway. I will say prayers, for you my friend and your brother. (((((HUGS))))

Elaine said...

Thanks for sharing all this infor with us. You need to get to your doctor and have a good checkup.. I just posted about two friends that were told they have breast cancer

Anonymous said...

Oh, sweet Maggie seems it just keeps pouring on you and your family. I am so sorry to hear about Gary getting sick from the treatments and for both his and his fiancees vehicles breaking down. Praying Gary will get over being sick and tolerate the treatments better and that they can get both vehicles repaired at a good price and soon.

I know too well about Inflammatory Breast Cancer. I lost a precious sister-in-law in her mid 30's from IBC.

I am glad you are seeing the doctor and getting right on that itch you have and I hope and pray it is something easily taken care of and you will have no worries. Praying for you dear, sweet Maggie. Hope to hear very soon that all is well.

Thank you for posting all the information on FBC because there is still way too many people that do not know about it.

Love and hugs!

Kim said...

Maggie,
Thanks for posting this. I had never heard of it before. We all need to be more aware of our health.
P.S. I'm glad I made you laugh the other day!
Hugs, Kim

dulcy said...

Maggie.... thanks so much for all that good info. You may have altered someone just in time! On an upbeat note... You won my blog giveaway! YIPPEE! I was so glad it was your name I pulled from the basket. Will email you for your address and get the mag out to you pronto.
xo
dulcy

A Tale of Two Cities said...

I'll be anxious to hear what your doctor has to say, and I'll be hoping that he puts your concerns to rest. Very good information you have shared with all of us. Knowledge is power.

Hoping to hear good news soon,
Debi

Unknown said...

I just posted you and it said there was an error. Seems like blogger's having a lot of that right now. So I cut this one short and just let you know that I'm praying for you and lifting Gary up as well.
I hope you have a peaceful nights rest tonight.

Warm hugs...Tracy :)

Lisalulu said...

yes I pray for Gary and you, glad you listen to your body! and THANK you for sharing this, is it so scary! for all of us. TAKE CARE, I love hearing from you.

deb said...

Prayers for you and Gary. So glad you listend to your body. Be sure to stand your ground with the Dr! Thank you for bringing this to our attention!
Take care and enjoy yoru Sunday!
*hugs*deb

Unknown said...

Just found you this morning through Dulcy and the information you provided was something I never knew. I am a 2 year survivor come February.
Thank you so much.

Laura said...

Dearest Maggie-
Prayers are going up.
Thank you for sharing this with us.
There is so much we do not know and that makes me crazy- but at least friends like you are sharing the word.

Laura
White Spray Paint

Arkansas Patti said...

Important post Maggie. I had received an email on the subject a while back and promptly forgot it. Thank you for bringing if forward but so sorry you are being troubled and concerned.
So glad you are going to the Doctor but wish you would find a new one. Not happy with his wait and see attitude. He certainly screwed up with Gary. Be sure to unleash Pearl on him.
Of course Gary is in my prayers. He never left and now so are you.
Let us know.

nono said...

Hi Maggie:

Thanks for this post. My mom had breast cancer at age 40...so I'm very attentive t getting my mammograms and ultra sounds every 6 months. I had an itchy boob about 6 months ago and I freaked out. All was well, but you do have to stay on top of it.
Truly
Mariliz

Jody said...

Thanks for posting this Maggie! I was not aware of this either..God Bless you!

Donna said...

Maggie....Hope you are making an appointment to see a Dr today! Take your new found info with you and insist they take this seriously! Physicians cannot know everything and if they do not know about this, get a second opinion! Yes, will add you AND Gary to my prayer list! You did a marvelous job of informing folks today with your good post!! Blessings....D

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Hello everyone
Just a note to say I did get a doctors appointment today at 3:PM had to cancel pool therapy...not the first time..they are use to it I guess. haha
Thanks for all the sweet comments. Hopefully this is not cancer...I got to thinking with all that has been going on in my life the last year maybe it is Shingles...beats the heck out of the other right
Have a great week
Love
Maggie

Karen Whittal said...

Maggie, this is not a negative post, this is positive, because we are learning from lessons that you have had to learn the hard way, and are willing to share so that we can be more vigilant, and is that not what life is all about being there for one another helping a fellow traveller along the way....... as always you are in my prayers my friends. Must tell you my daughters think it is so cool that I know a Texas Sheriff................

Anonymous said...

Prayers for you dear. I cannot believe I'm reading this. I had never heard of IBC before. This is very informative and I am glad you are sharing it. Came over because I could sure use some laughter tonight--feeling a bit blue, but am glad I read this. I'll go check some of your other posts.

Lots of love your way.

Henley on the Horn said...

What did the doctor say? Please update us as we are praying.